Friday, December 24, 2004

War of Text

I guess if you have been following the soap opera of BIMC you may well have read a few things. First I have been 'outed' politically – yes anarchist606 is Tom aka imcvol tom from Indymedia. I did not really want my alias to be known. A while back when zaskar was 'outed' too by an anonymous poster I remember thinking that that was not nice at all – a piece of privacy being dragged away from you. Now zaskar has done this to me, I know my feelings on how this would feel are correct. Its not nice at all. As an Indymedia volunteer I could have removed the post from the site within the guidelines as us volunteers are entitled to the degree of privacy if they choose – but if I had I would have been attacked for censoring, so I feel I have no choice but to loose some of my privacy. I am dammed if I do, dammed if I don't.

Second I have been subject to a fair amount of personal abuse by zaskar including compared to the sadistic nurse from One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest and been told I am key in the BIMC 'miserable crew', called a liar and a few other things. However, if you search for where I have insulted him, you won't find anything. While I have disagreed with him plenty, on many points, I have never insulted him. When zaskar was subject to some pretty nasty and unwarrended insults, I looked to me like it had affected him. Now, knowing how he felt, I don't plan to insult him. I don’t like being a digital punch bag for insults by somebody who obviously feels that they have the right and justification to portray me in this way – but what can I do? Insult back? Troll? Let the mud stick? I am dammed if I do, dammed if I don’t.

I expect I will be subject to more abuse – especially following this post. What can I say? I don’t agree with how I am being portrayed nor do I agree with his accusations. I could get into a point for point rebuttal and carry the whole thing on. Myself, zaskar and other interested parties could spend months on this – each new posting further feeding the fire. The only way you the reader can know for themselves if to meet the people involved. Zaskar has been very generous in offering to work with people on filmmaking, and I bet it would be worth it, as he has a prolific output. The BIMC meetings are always open – come along and judge for yourself.

Other than that – Happy Christmas.

No comments: