Saturday, April 14, 2007

Fuck Live Earth

Fucking Live Earth. Don't get me wrong, I am a comitted enviromentalist and know we need to change and am doing so in my life and have been for some time....but - Bono, Madonna and the rest telling me about Climate Change. I don't fucking think so. I feel the issue is boing sold down the celibrity river, much as Make Povety History was by the 'celebs.

Grrr Fucking Bono;

"Controversy arose because Bono and U2 were last year involved in lobbying the world's richest nations to give greater help to the developing world. Bono is an experienced campaigner on the issue, and has even set up his own non-governmental organisation, Data (Debt Aids Trade Africa), which was part of last year's Make Poverty History coalition. One of the campaign's main demands was that wealthy economies should donate at least 0.7% of their national income in aid.

The obvious charge against U2 here is hypocrisy. "Having listened to Bono on the necessity for the government to give more money [in] aid ... I am surprised that U2 are not prepared to contribute to the exchequer on a fair basis along with the bulk of taxpayers," said Joan Burton, of Ireland's Labour party.


Another good point;

Sorry to be so cynical, but really: I am not taking any lessons about the perils of fossil fuels from Madonna, James Blunt and good old Johnny Borrell, last seen speeding around Texas on a motorbike he called his "fat fucking ride". Not very George Monbiot, I'm saying.




PS. New radio show is online at http://www.thegoatlab.com

PPS. A fantastic take-down the C4's 'The Great Climate Swindle' and of its director Martin Durkin.

No comments: