Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How Murdoch Corrupts Democracy

Confessions of a former Sun editor... (bold is my emphasis...)
Make no mistake, if the Liberal Democrats actually won the election – or held the balance of power – it would be the first time in decades that Murdoch was locked out of British politics. In so many ways, a vote for the Lib Dems is a vote against Murdoch and the media elite.

I can say this with some authority because in my five years editing the Sun I did not once meet a Lib Dem leader, even though I met Tony Blair, William Hague and Iain Duncan Smith on countless occasions. (Full disclosure: I have since met Nick Clegg.)

I remember in my first year asking if we staffed the Liberal Democrat conference. I was interested because as a student I'd been a founder member of the SDP. I was told we did not. We did not send a single reporter for fear of encouraging them.

See - it's not about reporting what is happening - it's about reporting what Murdoch wants you too think is happening. Reality engineering.

Yet another reason to move to democratic media.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://twitpic.com/1h88ui