Friday, November 07, 2008

Straw Dogs

I read the excellent Black Mass: Apocalyptic Religion and the Death of Utopia by John Gray. It takes a savage swipe at a number of core political (and religious) beliefs from Non-conservatism to Bliar's Liberal Humanism (and also anarchism and communism, more food for thoughts.) Anyway, following that I took on Straw Dogs next;

Over the past 200 years, philosophy has shaken off Christian faith. It has not given up Christianity's cardinal error – the belief that humans are radically different from all other animals.


I is also good reading and challenges lots of core assumptions. Reading a letter in the paper;

Moral outrage costs nothing and it changes nothing.


Anyway - both books are worth reading - and that quote from the letter makes me think of lots of debates I have seen happen...
-

No comments: